July 21-25, 2020 in Westcliffe, CO
JAZZ in the SANGRES
I N F O: J A Z Z I N T H E S A N G R E S
The Jazz In The Sangres Camp is an immersive, one-of-a-kind jazz camp located in the foot of the Sangre De Cristo Mountains in Westcliffe, CO. Forty intermediate/advanced high school jazz musicians will spend the week with the region’s most sought-after professional jazz artists (Paul Romaine, Brad Goode, Greg Gisbert, Mark Patterson, Eric Gunnison, etc) playing in both small groups and a big band and participating in jam sessions, masterclasses, performances, activities, and more! Students have access to the world-class faculty nearly 15 hours a day, allowing for an incredible amount of personalized instruction and “hang time” with both faculty and fellow students. The last day of the camp features students performing around the town of Westcliffe.
The fee for the camp is $550 and room and board is $275, which includes lodging and all meals. Students and faculty stay in a local motel in Westcliffe.
Some need-based scholarships are available, please inquire.
*only register if you have been accepted and/or invited to the 2020 camp. Thanks!
A U D I T I O N I N F O
NOTE: the audition window has closed for the 2020 camp. Email Annie Booth
at for assistance and information.
Record either an audio recording (mp3 file) or video recording of yourself playing the following. Use a background track either from an "Aebersold" or "iRealB." Of course, if you have the opportunity to record your audition with a live rhythm section, that is wonderful too.
• Play the head and improvise 3 choruses of a 12-bar blues
• Play the head and improvise 2 choruses of a non-blues tune (ex: 32 bar tune)
RHYTHM SECTION PLAYERS (piano, bass, guitar, vibes):
• Play the, improvise 3 choruses, and "comp" or walk 2 choruses of a 12-bar blues
• Play the head, improvise 2 choruses, and "comp" or walk 1 chorus of a non-blues tune (ex: 32 bar tune)
• CLICK HERE for the drum audition info (it's the same as the CCJA small group audition requirements!)