Small Group Program
CCJA's core program groups students ages 11-18 from all over the metro area into small (7-9 piece) jazz ensembles, directed by professional musician mentors. These mentors are all accomplished professional musicians, most of whom also teach at the collegiate level and they have a wealth of experience to share with students!
These ensembles meet weekly to rehearse, play, and perform together as they study jazz improvisation, technique, style, theory, and history. Students are encouraged to express themselves improvisation-ally and through composing/arranging for their groups. Over the past twenty years, the program has attracted incredible young players who have become integral musicians in their respective school groups, members of the Colorado All-State Jazz Band, and recipients of impressive scholarships to major collegiate music programs across the country. Students in CCJA connect with other like-minded players in the area while honing their craft, making music, and having fun. At the end of each session, CCJA students perform for the public.
SPRING 2021 SESSION INFO
In-Person Ensembles take place over 6 weeks beginning the week of April 5. Five (5) 90-minute rehearsals each week culminate in a performance, which may be in-person or live-streamed, depending on virus conditions and restrictions. All ensembles are capped at 8 participants, as per state health regulations. Please access our organization's Covid-19 policies here. Should conditions change for the worse mid-session, we will move ensembles online. Unfortunately, in this situation we will be unable to offer a refund mid-session.
Tuition for the 6-week session is $185. Need-based scholarships are available, please reach out to us to inquire!
Keep reading below for the scope of all our offerings across the Front Range for the Spring 2021 Session. Locations include Longmont, Lafayette, and Central Denver. Questions? Reach out to CCJA Program Assistant Annie Booth at email@example.com
Important note: Ensembles are first come, first served. Because of this, we may not be able to place you in your desired ensemble time/date/location but should this situation arise, we look forward to working with you to find another spot! If the spot you're after is already taken, please sign up for our waitlist at the bottom of this page. If there is demand, we may be able to add additional groups. Thank you!
Beginning the week of April 5th
- Mon, Apr 05Muse Performance SpaceApr 05, 4:00 PM MDT – May 10, 8:00 PM MDTMuse Performance Space, 200 E South Boulder Rd, Lafayette, CO 80026, USANOTE: This group has filled up on drums. This ensemble is open to middle schoolers on any instrument or ability level. Mondays 4-5:30pm (4/5, 4/12, 4/19, 4/26, 5/3 with a performance the week of 5/10)
- Mon, Apr 05CoSolve CoWorking
- Tue, Apr 06CCJA New HQ @ KalamathApr 06, 4:30 PM MDT – May 11, 6:00 PM MDTCCJA New HQ @ Kalamath, 800 Kalamath St, Denver, CO 80204, USANOTE: This group has filled up on drums. This ensemble is open to middle schoolers on any instrument or ability level. Tuesdays 4:30-6pm (4/6, 4/13, 4/20, 4/27, 5/4) with a performance the week of 5/10 - TBD)
- Tue, Apr 06CCJA New HQ @ KalamathApr 06, 6:30 PM MDT – May 11, 8:00 PM MDTCCJA New HQ @ Kalamath, 800 Kalamath St, Denver, CO 80204, USATuesday nights at CCJA's *new* HQ in Denver will host two different high school groups (8 students max per group). Tuesdays 6:30-8pm (4/6, 4/13, 4/20, 4/27, 5/4 performance the week of 5/10) Students will be placed in one of the two high school groups with students of similar ability levels.
- Tue, Apr 06CoSolve CoworkingApr 06, 7:00 PM MDT – May 11, 8:30 PM MDTCoSolve Coworking, Main Reception, 350 Terry St Suite 200, Longmont, CO 80501, USAThis ensemble is open to high schoolers on any instrument with some experience playing jazz. Tuesdays 7-8:30pm (4/6, 4/13, 4/20, 4/27, 5/4 with performance the week of 5/10 - TBD)
- Thu, Apr 08CCJA New HQ @ KalamathApr 08, 6:30 PM – May 13, 8:00 PMCCJA New HQ @ Kalamath, 800 Kalamath St, Denver, CO 80204, USAThursday nights will host two high school groups. These groups are open to high school instrumentalists of any ability level; students will be placed in groups according to peers at their level. Thursdays 6:30-8pm (4/8, 4/15, 4/22, 4/29, 5/6 with a performance the week of 5/10 - TBD)